The Ministry of National Development has revised the development charge (DC) rates for the period 1 March 2015 to 31 August 2015. The review is carried out on a half-yearly basis, in consultation with the Chief Valuer.
The DC rates remain unchanged for Use Group B1 (Residential, landed), Group C (Hotel / Hospital), Group D (Industry), Group E (Place of Worship / Civic and Community Institution), and Use Groups F, G and H. (See Appendix 1 for Table of DC Rates).
The DC rates for Use Group A (Commercial) have on average increased by 2%, with the increase ranging from 4% to 9% in 31 out of 118 sectors. The rates are unchanged for the other 87 sectors. The largest increase in the Group A rate at 9% applies to the following sectors:
- Sectors 8 & 10 (Maxwell Road / Telok Ayer Street / Hoe Chiang Road / Keppel Road),
- Sector 16 (Chinatown area / New Bridge Road / Cantonment Road / Upper Cross Street / Cross Street / Amoy Street / Peck Seah Street area),
- Sectors 15, 17 & 18 (Eu Tong Sen Street / Park Crescent / Upper Pickering Street / Upper Cross Street / China Street / Pearl’s Hill Terrace / Outram Park / Chin Swee Road);
- Sectors 19, 20 & 21 (Kim Seng Road / Robertson Quay / Havelock Road / Jiak Kim Street / Saiboo Street / Unity Street / Clarke Quay area / Merchant Road / Boat Quay area / Circular Road / North Canal Road), and
- Sectors 61 & 62 (Bukit Timah Road / Dunearn Road / Newton Road / Keng Lee Road / Thomson Road area).
For Use Group B2 [Residential (non-landed)], the DC rates have decreased on average by 3%, with the decrease ranging from 2% to 13% for 73 out of 118 sectors. There is no change to the DC rates for the remaining 45 sectors. The largest decrease, with a 13% drop, is in Sector 100 only (Tampines Road / Hougang / Punggol / Sengkang area).
There are no changes to the Use Groups Table and the Geographical Sector maps.
The revised DC rates (Appendix 1), to be read in conjunction with the Use Groups Table (Appendix 2) and the set of Geographical Sector maps (Map A and Map B), will be effective from 1 March 2015. The new rates will apply to cases which are granted Provisional Permission (PP) or 2nd and subsequent extension to the PP on or after the effective date.
If there is any disagreement over the DC payable for any development proposal, calculated based on the rates under the respective Use Groups, developers and owners can opt for a case-by-case valuation by the Chief Valuer, as provided for in the Planning Act.