Category Archives: Neighbourhood news

News and updates on the neighbourhood of katong. lnterested to know the streets in Katong area?

Tao Nan School

Tao Nan is probably the most popular primary school in the District 15. With rich heritage, top ranking and reputation, it has been sought after by parents who seeks to volunteer in the school or register a residence within 1 km of the neighbourhood. Below is an excerpt of the history behind this well known Singapore education institute.

 

Tao NanTaonan school map

Excerpt from Infopedia

One of Singapore’s oldest primary schools, Tao Nan School was established on 18 November 1906 with financing from the Hokkien Huay Kuan. It was the one of the first six modern Chinese schools to be set up in Singapore. Originally located at an ornate building at Armenian Street, the school moved to the Marine Parade neighbourhood in 1982. The original school building at Armenian Street now houses the Peranakan Museum.

Early history
The establishment of Tao Nan School was initiated by Tan Boo Liat, great-grandson of entrepreneur and philanthropist Tan Tock Seng. It gained support from Hokkien merchants and was aided by the Singapore Hokkien Association (Hokkien Huay Kuan). Chen Baochen, purportedly a tutor of the last Qing Emperor Puyi, was credited with naming the school Daonan Xuetang or “Tao Nan Study Hall”. Tan Kim Ching’s residence at Siam House, opposite St Andrew’s Cathedral along North Bridge Road, served as the temporary location of the school. The first enrolments numbered between 90 and 100 students but this number tripled within the first three months.

Initially admitting only Hokkien students, in 1909 Tao Nan became the first modern Chinese school in Singapore to accept students from different dialect groups in order to increase cohesiveness within the Chinese community. Its curriculum was aimed at promoting Chinese culture and appreciating Chinese values, with lesson centred on Confucian classics, history and geography. In 1916, it became the first school to turn away from dialects and use Mandarin as the medium of instruction.

Tao Nan School
Construction of a school building was proposed by industrialist Tan Kah Kee. A plot of land at Armenian Street was purchased with $10,000 donated by sugar baron Oei Tiong Ham in 1910. As President of the School Board, Tan Kah Kee embarked on a donation drive to finance the building project. The drive raised $40,000. The neoclassical school building with features of the French Renaissance was completed in March 1912. The school moved from North Bridge Road to Armenian Street and was renamed Daonan Xuexiao or “Tao Nan School”, according to a directive from China’s Ministry of Education.

English lessons were introduced in 1914. The school subsequently changed its medium of instruction to Mandarin in 1916, making it the first school in Singapore to turn from dialects. It was closed during the Japanese Occupation but was reopened two months after the Japanese surrender. It became a government-aided school in 1958 and improved its standard of English by hiring more English teachers and allotting more time to the subject.

In 1957, Tao Nan School became a government-aided school and the time allocation for English lessons was increased. The Urban Renewal Programme of 1971 moved numerous families from the city to the suburbs. This led to a decline in student population in Tao Nan until 1976, when the Hokkien Huay Kuan decided that Tao Nan be moved to the suburbs to cater to the population there.

Recent developments
Construction at the new site in Marine Parade began in 1980 and by the following year, the building was ready. After 76 years in the city, Tao Nan moved to Marine Parade in 1982. In 1983, the new school building was declared officially open by then Defence Minister Goh Chok Tong. In 1990, the school was selected for the Special Assistance Programme (SAP). Since then, it has established itself as a school providing a well-balanced Chinese and English education.

The original school building at Armenian Street was refurbished as the Asian Civilisation Museum in 1996. In 1998, the building was gazetted as a national monument by the Preservation of Monuments Board as a reflection of the social and cultural roots of early Chinese immigrants in Singapore. In 2005, the building was redeveloped to house the Peranakan Museum.

Tao Nan School graduates include prominent public figures such as philanthropist Lee Kong Chian and former Minister of State Ow Chin Hock. Pan Shou, Singapore’s award-winning Chinese calligrapher, was also an ex-principal at the old Tao Nan School.

Authors
Lim Siew Yeen & Renuka M.

Mountbatten suites

A boutique residential project in Katong area, Mountbatten Suites provides an valued stay surrounded by posh condos in Amber Road and landed properties in Mountbatten Road and Haig Road. With pool, BBQ pit and a well connected bus network to town and airport, going places is never an issue.

Currently there is a studio unit for sale at $700K+. Call 94772121 for more details!

20140330-171422.jpg

20140330-171439.jpg

20140330-171502.jpg

20140330-171517.jpg

20140330-171534.jpg

20140330-171548.jpg

 

 

 

East Coast Road – Some interesting history

East Coast Road

East Coast Road, beginning at the junction of Tanjong Katong Road and Mountbatten Road, is a thoroughfare along the east. It extends as Upper East Coast Road after it forms a junction with Siglap Road and continues before ending sharply at a bend into Bedok Road. Hugging the eastern coast of Singapore, the road had been designated as early as 1828 in Lt. Jackson’s Town Plan but was built only in 1902. Since then, it has served as the main vein to the culturally rich and diverse Katong area.

History
Lt. Philip Jackson’s 1828 Singapore Town Plan, following Raffles’ recommendations and vision of 1823, designated roads on either end of the island as East Coast Road and West Coast Road. Both the roads, though not constructed until much later, were thus one of Singapore’s earliest roads delineated. The only approach, to the areas around Joo Chiat to Geylang, was initially through Geylang Road and Tanjong Katong Road. But in 1902, a laterite road was constructed, connecting Katong to Bedok. This was to become East Coast Road, running along the coast until the land reclamation of the 1960s. The extensions to Tanjong Katong Road in the west began in 1906. Along with this highway into rural Singapore came new modes of transportation such as the mosquito buses and the motor trolleys and trams, transporting business and transforming life along the coast. Though predominantly a Peranakan and Eurasian enclave, East Coast Road houses cultural institutions of the other major races in Singapore. Having the best seafront views, East Coast Road was a place sought after by the rich to build seaside bungalows. Many by-lanes or offshoots from East Coast Road continued to be named “East Coast Road” as well. They are now lined with numerous flats and apartments that currently dominate the landscape of the area. In the late 1990s, Upper East Coast Road was extended to join the PIE.

Excerpt from Infopedia

Marshall Road

Marshall Rd

East Coast Road marshall road marshall road marshall road

Marshall Road which is located in Katong, runs parallel to Ceylon Road and connects Pennefather Road to East Coast Road. It was named in 1934 after Captain H.T.Marshall, the first Chairman of the Municipal Commission in 1856.The road was known as Lorong 210 East Coast before being renamed Marshall Road in 1934 after Captain H. T. Marshall, who was appointed the first Chairman of the Municipal Commission in 1856. Captain Marshall was also a member of the Chamber of Commerce and Superintendent of the Peninsular & Orient Steam Navigation company Limited until 1859. The excerpt is extracted from Infopedia.

 

Getting a landed house in Katong

Whether for stay or for investment, land is always the best choice for the well-heeled. Landed houses in Singapore, due to its scarcity and versatility, are in rage these days. Despite the headwinds of global and local economy, landed homes present resilience against price drops, and when economy picks up, they are among the best performing.


 

wareham house

Everitt houses
DSC07102

Tembeling Houses
DSC07118
DSC07128

DSC07244

DSC07043

 

Amber Road

Amber Road is an L-shaped road that connects the junction of Haig Road and Mountbatten Road to Tanjong Katong Road. The road was named after the family clan name of Joseph Aaron Elias, a prominent property owner in early 20th-century Singapore. Popular landmarks on this road include the Chinese Swimming Club. This place is now filled with posh and new condominiums. Upcoming TOP projects include the SHORE and SILVERSEA.

Amber Rd

 

Night lights from the kallang riverside

Serene waterfront views on the Kallang Riverside. Lights in the night. The Indoor Stadium, the new Sports Hub, Tanjong Rhu condos (Costa Rhu, Pebble Bay). The Flyer. Marina Bay. Beautiful.

Was jogging along this scenic park, and was mesmerized by the lights. This is also part of Kampong Bugis where the upcoming masterplan mentioned about the new development plans in Singapore. I also saw a new showflat coming up here. A freehold property launch in a few weeks time. Pricing? It will be interesting to know how much it will fetch to enjoy such a wonderful waterfront view.

20140404-212707.jpg

20140404-212717.jpg

20140404-212807.jpg

20140404-212816.jpg

20140404-212824.jpg

20140404-212912.jpg

20140404-215224.jpg

20140404-220053.jpg

20140404-220105.jpg

Rental unit along East Coast/Marine Parade area

This is a Two bedroom unit at East Coast for Rent @ $3,888* incl: utilities, wifi, housekeeping, air con serving and cable tV. Call 94772121 for more details. Minutes to Parkway Parade and I12 Katong Mall.

 

 

 

Makan @ Katong

Katong‘s rich cultural mix has contributed to its unique cuisine – most notably Peranakan (Straits Chinese) cuisine. In particular, a spicy Malay noodle soup called Peranakan laksa was made famous even beyond Singapore shores. Katong Laksa originated from Joo Chiat area. The founder lived in Tembling Road/Joo Chiat Terrace initally before moving his business into the eating house at East Coast Road/Ceylon Road. Because the Katong people loved his laksa, it has come to be known as the Katong laksa throughout the world in Hong Kong and New York.